What I learned: Lazy Genius Podcast!

 Good Morning!


I had a recommendation to try the Lazy Genius book and would 10/10 recommend, but even if you don't have the time to get through the whole book or it seems like a lot to digest, I highly recommend her podcast as well! It's a great weekly reminder for me to prioritize what truly matters to me and I'm working on the second part of her tagline to "let go what doesn't".

What we are focusing on right now and what I'm learning as we're heading back into the school year is the "decide once" principle. Like many, we are in the nearly-back-to-school week and therefore my mind is on all things organization and fall! This also means that I've decided once on a few things to help with decision fatigue and organization in the coming weeks. The following things are those that we have decided once and will either keep or tweak.

1. Meal Schedule - not to be confused with meal planning which is a little more precise in my mind. We have a schedule that has been going for a few weeks now and seems to be working of: Monday - breakfast for dinner, Tuesday - crepes, Wednesday - pasta, Thursday - pizza (trader joe's of course), Friday - comfort food (lately annie mac and cheese with edemame), Saturday - Fun night (lately some type of rice bowl), Sunday - slow cooker meal; breakfasts are either avocado toast and egg or nutella toast for me and Leo, Oatmeal with peanut butter for Grant, and a sandwhich and/or orange for Jamie, lunches are sanwiches with a snack, fruit/veggie, and sweet for the boys, and trader joe's specials for me and Grant; snacks are a mix of goal fish, fruit snacks, cheese, trail mix, etc...

2. Eating out - from above we have a pretty robust meal schedule but that means that we don't tend to eat out a lot, this is good for us in life right now, but I've found myself feeling as though I'm missing out on the amazing food scene in Cincinnati (don't knock it 'til you've tried it!) and so Grant and I agreed that the last Monday of the month will be take-out so that Grant can get some dedicated one-on-one time with Leo when they do the pick-up and we get to try some of the places that we drive past all the time!

3. Work - this is a tough one for me, I'm just going to go with what is happening right now and if something else comes up then we'll address that then, but until that time, we're fortunate to be in the place we are and so helping out at the zoo and church and then taking care of the kids right now is where I'm supposed to be. We'll re-evaluate in one year if nothing else comes up and at that point it'll likely be the school/Ph.D vs. direct into workforce vs. finishing out my CFI discussion with Grant. each of these has fantastic benefits and so I'm excited for whatever comes but it'll be good to have this year to test out what works for us and where the opportunities lie. 

Those are some of the things that I'm applying from the principle of "decide once" and a little bit of "name what matters" to help me to stop stressing about things.

That's all for today!

๐Ÿ’› Jess

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top five: summer movie

Hello!

Good News Thursday: Netflix Kids shows featuring conservation and ecological responsibility