How To: Weed without Weed Killer Chemicals

 Hi!


I am an HGTV person. I love the Gaines' of course, but I'm also a huge fan of Fixer to Fabulous, Home Town, and well pretty much any reno show that's not a competition nor a "high stakes anxiety ridden nail biter". If I'm watching TV it's to relax, there's enough anxiety in life without adding fictional to the mix.

That tangent being said, I saw an episode recently in Fixer to Fabulous where Dave Marrs used a flame thrower to clear a large portion of weeds on a patio in a short time. As a fellow pyro person I was intrigued and started the all-knowing Google machine on if this is actually a thing. Turns out it totally is. Weed flame throwers are here and available in your local home improvement store. 

Once I knew that this existed I decided that Grant and I clearly needed one as I still had sores on my hands from a "rage weed" session a few days previously and I went to the store and got one for Grant and my Dad as birthday gifts. (When I told my mom about it she insisted that I buy one for Dad as he would get one as soon as he saw ours. Can you say 'Tool Envy" πŸ˜†)

Grant tried it out for the first time this past weekend, first weekend that we'd had in a while without too much rain, and it worked perfectly. It's a little slower than I'd hoped, my initial thought was something out of a bad 80s action film, but it got the job done and was perfect for our brick patio. We're also using it in the gravel area near our driveway as that's always a pain to pull everything.

All in all I'd say it's an 8/10 tool but a 10/10 improvement from hand pulling. 

I'm not a fan of weed killers if I can avoid them as so many have been deemed as carcinogens and the work I've done with manatees shows a direct link between the chemicals that we use here in Ohio and the ecosystems in the gulf. The link below is an interactive map of how the waterways work and we use a similar version of this at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens to educate guests on how we can help prevent ecosystem destruction that leads to wildlife death, plant destruction, and subsequently unchecked weather systems like hurricanes from here in Ohio.

Interactive Map



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top five: summer movie

Hello!

Good News Thursday: Netflix Kids shows featuring conservation and ecological responsibility